Our Record

The foundation's fast-growing funding

Since it came into being in 2010 until the first quarter of 2014, the Daniel and Nina Carasso Foundation has funded 175 organisations and nearly 200 projects. 58% of its funding was disbursed directly. The other 42% funded initiatives in partnership with the Fondation de France through theme-based call for projects such as “Ecosystems, Agriculture and Food Systems” and “Childhood and Culture”, programmes like “the New Patrons”, or grants to help young people build a career in craft activities. Almost 18 million euros have thus been invested so far, to many initiatives. 

The funds disbursed have experienced a significant growth since 2010: while that first year the foundation financed projects up to 880 000 euros, that amount reached over 6.5 million in 2013. This increase has made possible the development of its two areas –“Sustainable food systems and diets” and “Art in the community”. The resources were equitably distributed between these two areas, a trend that should remain in the years to come.

Having been established in France, under the aegis of the Fondation de France, the Daniel and Nina Carasso foundation first built partnerships with French grantseekers. In 2014 and 2015, the foundation will strengthen its programs in Spain, where it is intended to become an active player. The foundation is also committed at an international level, for instance to help areas hit by environmental disasters, such as Haiti.     

Besides its two priorities, the Daniel and Nina Carasso Foundation seeks to boost the development and visibility of the philanthropic sector in France and Europe. Accordingly, it joined the Board of Administration of the French Centre of Funds and Foundations (CFF) in April 2014. It is also a member of Admical, an umbrella association for corporate and individual grantmaking foundations. In both bodies, the Foundation takes part in different working groups – e.g. those devoted to evaluation in Admical and education in the CFF. Moreover, in order to further knowledge of philanthropy, it has also joined the “circle of partners” of the Philanthropy Chair at the ESSEC Business School outside Paris. Its contribution focuses on improving understanding how the sector works Europe-wide.  

See list of projects funded in: